Having spent months on end perusing countless travel blogs tirelessly, I’ve decided it’s finally time to start my own! This first blog post shall serve as a get-to-know-me post for a bit of background, as well as a little preview of what’s to come for this blog.
ABOUT ME — 10 random facts
- My name is Cynthia, I’m 21 years old, and I’ve been living just outside of Toronto, Canada almost my entire life.
- I’m in my fourth and final year of undergrad studying Biochemistry and I’ve learned some pretty cool things about proteins and DNA. I’m also planning on getting a minor in Origins Research, which is this really amazing interdisciplinary program where we’ve discussed diverse topics such as structure in the cosmos, species and biodiversity, and humanity.
- I have a younger sister whom I’m super close with. We’ve experienced the pleasures of growing up together, had our fair share of fights and make-up sessions, had so many amazing adventures together, and now we’re living a few cities apart. (I miss you!)
- My best friend and I are going to backpack across Europe this coming summer after we graduate! We’ve been friends since elementary school and I’ve had so many great adventures and laughs with her. We haven’t seen each other nearly enough in the past four years, what with being over three hours apart in different cities for university. However, every time we do see each other, it’s always a fun time. (Can’t wait to have more adventures with you!)
- I love being by the water. The sights, the sounds, the smells, and the whole experience is just so relaxing. And don’t even get me started about waterfalls. I just might have a slight obsession with them.
- I love food — eating it, and recently cooking it as well. When I went home this past Thanksgiving, I cooked my family four pretty awesome Thanksgiving dishes, if I do say so myself! My family says they liked them also.
- My favourite TV show is currently The Walking Dead. My sister was actually the one who introduced it to me, and together along with my mom, the three of us have been binge-watching this show every time I come home from university. I even met one of the actors of The Walking Dead in New York City! My other favourite shows are Breaking Bad, Prison Break, Suits, and Friends. I also really liked watching Malcolm in the Middle when I was a kid.
- I recently came back from a four day three night camping and canoeing trip to Killarney Provincial Park. Of course, I had my moments of doubts leading up to the trip. I mean, what was I thinking getting myself into four days of camping with eight complete strangers? I’d never even really gone camping before. However, I was determined this time not to let my fear of new social situations stop me from trying new things. This camping trip has turned out to be one of the most incredible four days ever. I met some amazing people, experienced so many new things, and came back with so many great memories and stories. After the trip, I’ve gotten to know this one person a lot more too, and we’ve had some pretty fun and memorable times these past few weeks.
- I took French classes up to grade 12 but had all but forget the language, that is, until recently. Though I’d always wanted to be fluent in French, I’d just figured this was an impossible dream. Then a few months ago, I started discovering a more fun way to learn French that actually worked for me. I started watching French movies and French YouTubers in my spare time, trying to remember what I’d forgotten. I discovered italki and started practicing my French skills with native speakers and language teachers. And guess what? I’ve noticed that I can understand so much more and I can speak better too! (Edit: I share in a later post more ways to have a lot of fun learning French (or any foreign language)!)
- I’m a pretty introverted and shy person, and social situations have always given me anxiety. However, the few mini travel adventures I took the initiative to go on by myself have been so amazing and good for me. I’m determined to continue to step out of my comfort zone, experience life, and hopefully, gain confidence in social situations and in myself! (Edit: I also worked on a collaboration post about how travel can help you to overcome shyness if you wanted to check it out.)
ABOUT MY PLANS
So far, my plans for the future go something like this:
- Graduate university — and, of course, have some more adventures locally along the way!
- Backpack across Europe with my best friend. We haven’t settled on the length or route yet, but we have an idea of the countries and major cities we want to go to. (Edit: Unfortunately, backpacking together isn’t going to happen due to some unforeseen circumstances. I’m going to be travelling solo instead.)
After this, I have so many ideas but I’m not sure what to do next. I think I’m definitely going to take a gap year from school at least. I can always apply to graduate or professional schools next year or the year after that… Right now, I just want to experience all that the world has to offer!
First, I’m debating between two main ideas:
- Doing a working holiday visa in Australia or
- Teaching English as a foreign language somewhere in southeast Asia.
I can earn money both ways while doing some exploring at the same time! I asked one of my travel inspirations, Aly from PsychoTraveller, what her opinion was and she answered me (YAY!) and suggested both — so I just might have to do that haha!
I’d also want to save up money and eventually go:
- Backpacking across southeast Asia too.
So I’m not sure which idea would allow me to save money better. Anyone have any ideas?
I’m also considering:
- Doing a volunteer program for a few weeks in China and/or Peru.
I’m so fascinated by both these cultures right now and I’d love a chance to learn more about them, to interact with the people there, and to live like a local. The natural beauty and historic sites of these two countries, such as the Great Wall of China or Machu Picchu, don’t hurt either.
Also on my list of things to do:
- Living for a few months in a French-speaking country or perhaps in Québec, Canada.
This is so that I can fully immerse myself in the French language, the culture, and the people. My goal is to become conversationally fluent in French!
So this is the plan (if you can call it that) that I currently have in mind. I’ll continue posting on this blog as my ideas change, which I’m sure they will.
ABOUT THE BLOG
Every Footstep an Adventure is going to be the place where I document all my future travels and adventures. I’m also going to be sharing highlights and stories of my past adventures, as well as tips and advice for both travelling and stepping out of your comfort zone. I plan to update this blog at least weekly — I have so many blog post ideas already so I can’t wait to get writing!
My two main goals for this blog:
- By putting time into writing about my adventures and travels, this will give me time to reflect upon the experiences I’ve had on a different level. I think that this period of reflection can be really good for me and I hope to learn more and to grow as a result of this process.
- My hope is that this blog can also inspire others to go out and try something new. To gain the courage to take that first step and to do something outside their comfort zone. To go on new adventures, to do something they truly love, and to experience all that this beautiful world has to offer! Perhaps it’ll inspire you?
I don’t know what the future has in store for me, but I am so excited to live life and find out!
Now it’s your turn — leave a comment below and tell me a little about yourself! I’d be so interested to learn some random facts about you, how you stumbled upon this blog, what travel or adventure plans you have for the future, or anything else you want to tell me!