My first pair of hiking boots has rocked my world! They have been so amazing for my ankles and have done wonders for my general enjoyment of longer hikes.
Now, I usually consider myself a minimalist when it comes to my shoe “collection”. I have one pair of sneakers, a pair of black Toms, flip-flops, and two pairs of winter boots because, hey, I live in Canada. They each suit their purpose well, I have less clutter, and I’m saving money. Win, win, win. (Ok, I also have two pairs of heels that I bought for my grade 8 graduation and prom that I wear on special occasions, but that’s really it!)
So, what convinced me I needed a pair of hiking boots?
This past year I made it a goal of mines to explore more locally. And sure enough, I’ve been doing that. I would be out for five or more hours at a time exploring the natural areas surrounding Hamilton in my sneakers, and while I got tired in general, my ankles would really hurt at the end of the day.
I also knew I wanted to start hiking on longer trails, on rougher terrains, and go on more outdoor adventures in general. And so began my search for the perfect pair of hiking boots…
After doing some online research, I decided on the Salomon Comet 3D Lady GTX women’s hiking boots.
What makes this particular pair of hiking boots a welcome addition to my humble shoe collection?
They’re much better than my sneakers at keeping my feet dry in wet conditions…
…or snowy conditions.
And most importantly, they can do what my sneakers can’t by preventing me from rolling my ankle in rough and rocky terrains!
Why did I choose the Salomon Comet 3D Lady GTX over other hiking boots?
Well, there are quite a few features of these hiking boots that, when I first read about them, seemed appealing. After trying them out at Bon Echo Provincial Park last weekend, I’ve fallen in love with their features even more.
- These boots are said to be great for day hikes and light overnight jaunts. This is mostly what I plan to do in the near future (no epic long distance hike for me yet), so that aspect sounded perfect. And indeed, they’ve been great for my day hikes so far. I haven’t gone on any overnight treks yet, but will update the post with how they work for me when I do!
- These hiking boots have a mid-height ankle support, perfect for preventing me from rolling my ankle, or worse, on uneven terrain.
- They’re waterproof and super breathable as well. As you can see in the photos above, I like to hike in all types of conditions, rain or shine or even snow! These hiking boots are made with a Gore-Tex lining and have delivered as promised, keeping my feet dry in wet conditions, while allowing moisture to evaporate. I’m not sure how they’d perform in the snow yet and they’re not specifically made for winter hiking. However, I can pretty much guarantee they’re better than my sneakers…
- They also have an aggressive tread which provides great traction and stability on varied terrain.
- These hiking boots are generous in toe room to avoid bruising and callouses. I’ve had this problem with sneakers in the past and was nervous that I might face this same problem with the hiking boots. However, I’m happy to say that this was not the case!
- They have generous padding on the sole and the whole boot is overall very comfortable.
- They’re pretty lightweight too. Ok, so that wasn’t exactly my first impression of them. Since these are my first pair of hiking boots, they’re definitely quite a bit heavier than the sneakers I’m used to. However, during my first hike, I quickly forgot about the added weight on my feet and continued happily trekking along.
- I also love the purple colour of the interior!
Overall, the Salomon Comet 3D Lady GTX women’s hiking boots are sturdy, yet amazingly comfortable. I chose a size 8 because that’s my normal sneaker size and they fit great. I only wore them around the house on two evenings before taking them out, and they felt amazing right from the start. These boots required no pain to break in and I am happy to say that I did not have to face any first hike blisters!
What’s your go-to shoe for outdoor adventures?
Disclosure: I received a complimentary pair of Salomon Comet 3D Lady GTX women’s hiking boots from Live Out There to try out and review. I was able to choose this specific pair of boots because I thought it would best suit my purposes. Please know that I will only ever recommend products and services that I use and love myself. I do not receive any commission from purchases made through the links in this post.